Professional Photographers of Idaho
2024 Print Competition
Saturday, March 9th, 2024
Online via Printcompetition.com
In State: $15 per image for the first 5 images or $85 for all 6 images
Out of State: $20 per image up to 4 images (for Score Only)
$25 for Print Chair Challenge (Optional)
$5 Fun Photoshoots (Optional)
Images must be uploaded to printcompetition.com by Midnight on Tuesday, March 5th, 2024
1. Any PPI member with current dues paid; resident or non-resident of Idaho may enter. To be eligible for awards entrants must pay for a full convention registration pass. Apart from the print chair challenge, registration to the current year convention must be paid prior to judging to be eligible for any awards. A Maximum of 6 images per Member are allowed.
2. Out of state entrant: Entries are accepted from those who are not members of PPI for the purpose of scoring only. They need not be a convention attendee; however, the $20 per image entry fees apply. The entries will be judged for score only and are not eligible for awards (except the Print Chair Challenge and Best Out of State Image). Images must be entered via printcompetition.com. A maximum of 4 images per entrant are allowed.
3. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure or exposures. However, a maker may use supporting photographic elements they did not create provided those elements are referenced as guide images on the face of the entry. The original photographic capture by the entrant should be merit-worthy independent of the work that was not their own. Elements created by the maker must not be part of the guide images except for images entered into the Artist category.
4. All processing, manipulation and rendering shall be done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
5. The entrant must obtain and have access to all the necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold PPI harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of PPI’s display, publication and promotion or other use of each image submitted to PPI.
6. Any entry which has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted, or displayed. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law that entry shall be disqualified.
7. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
8. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an education environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
9. Now allowing more than 1 entry with the same subject, given they are significantly different in concept and location.
10. Entries previously merited at any PPI, PPA Affiliate, or PPA International Competition are not eligible. If an image Merits in any category of the previously noted competitions, no entrant may enter it again, in any category, at any time. No image receiving a merit may be entered more than once, in any category. Images entered into district that earned a seal may be entered. Images entered in IPC that have been accepted may NOT be entered.
11. Jurors may not enter their own images to be judged during the same competition.
12. You must create an account at www.printcompetition.com to enter the print competition. Here you will upload your images and pay your fees. Uploaded files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RBG1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 7.5 MB.
1. Guide images must be included to the presentation.
2. Entries may be reproduced from existing photographs, portraits, graphics or any other artwork so long as the entrant is prepared to provide appropriate written documentation indicating permission for usage. This documentation may be requested by PPI before, during or after the competition. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the print committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law and cannot be proven otherwise, that entry shall be disqualified and merits revoked, if issued.
-Judging is open to the public, and available for streaming at printcompetition.com
-Watch parties may be formed throughout the state, make it a party!
-Judging will be based on the PPA scoring system from 100 to 0, using a 5-judge panel with a Jury Chair.
When a judge associates an entry with an entrant, the judge is required to disqualify themselves from scoring an entry. When this scenario happens, the Jury Chair will enter a score for that entry. In the case of two jurors needing to disqualify themselves, the Jury Chair will make a judgment call on how to handle the situation.
-Images scoring 80 points and above will be awarded two PPI merits, for a max of 8 merits annually.
-Images scoring 75 points and above will be awarded one PPI merit, for a max of 8 merits annually.
-Awards will be presented at the PPI Awards banquet on Sunday, March 24, 2024. For those who will be attending virtually, awards will be mailed after winners are announced at the Awards banquet.
Eligibility for the categories:
All other entries not outlined in the Master category listed below.
PPA Master Photographers will enter this category.
Any maker who has won Photographer of the Year at least 3 times. After receiving a score of at least 80 on more than 30 images entered into a previous PPI print competition.
Only Images entered into PPI State Image competition will used for qualification of these categories. We do not use images entered into District Competition or IPC as qualifications for these categories:
Categories for General Entrants:
NS- High School Senior
NPM- Portrait Man
NPW- Portrait Woman
NPN- Portrait Newborn
NPG- Portrait Group
Categories for Master Entrants:
ES- High School Senior
EPM- Portrait Man
EPW- Portrait Woman
EPN- Portrait Newborn
EPG- Portrait Group
Print Chair Challenge
Makers may enter one of their images into the Print Chair Challenge for an additional $25.
This is available for ANY person entering, in state or out of state.
The theme for 2024 is “Red”
The winner of the Print Chair Challenge will receive 1/2 of the entry fees collected
specifically for the Print Chair Challenge.
Our panel of judges will choose the winner.
Makers may enter one image in addition to your case (for a max total of 7 images) into the Fun Photoshoots Category for an additional $5.
This is available for ANY person entering, in state or out of state. Images are exclusively from any of the PPI Sanctioned Photoshoots, Events, or Photo Walks. Top prize is a ribbon, scores from this category DOES NOT apply toward your final case score or eligible for any other awards from the Image Competition.
Available only to paid, full convention attendees
Awards will be given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each classification where judges deem entries are worthy of awards. In the Newcomer and Advanced categories All entries will be considered. However, in the Master’s category only entries that receive a score of 80 or higher will be considered.
Judges Choice is awarded to an image by each judge that has chosen it as their personal favorite.
Rookie of the Year:
An award and a $250 scholarship will be presented by PPI to a PPA accredited school to the photographer who garners the highest number of accumulated points from the four highest scored images and is entering images for the first time in our professional competition. Scholarship must be used within the year that it is awarded.
The image which garners the most votes by ballot from Convention Attendees.
Best PPA Certified Image:
The highest scoring image entered by a PPA certified photographer.
Best out of state:
This award is presented to the highest scoring out of state image case. Once a person has been a member in good standing for 3 consecutive years, paying all membership dues, said person will be an in-state member of the organization. At which point they are considered a member of PPI and receive eligibility to win any award offered by the organization
Photographer of the Year:
The photographer who garners the highest number of accumulative points from the four highest scored images entered into either the Newcomer or Advanced exhibition.
Idaho Master Photographer of the Year:
(John Sinclair Award)
The photographer who garners the highest number of accumulative points from
the four highest scored images entered into the Master’s Exhibition.
ASP State Elite Award:
The highest scoring image from a current member of ASP (American Society of
Court of Honor:
The top 4 highest accumulated scores will make up the PPI Court of Honor.
All images receiving a score of 70 or above will be accepted for exhibition. Images receiving a score of 80 or above will be considered a “Print of Distinction” while on display. Exhibition will commence following the completion of judging. These images will be displayed as a slide show at the convention center. Because our competition this year has only digital entries, the images will also be displayed online via a ‘proofing’ link. This link will be sent to all paid attendees after judging has been completed.